I just read this article from Time, that includes an eye-opening graphic (below). Take a look at the current numbers affecting Americans, and how stress affects our health. It’s not promising. Stress is a major contributor to poor health. Find small ways to begin managing your health. Just one small change can begin to help. Once that change has been made, make another small change. Eventually you will be making positive strides toward reducing stress.
- Take a short walk to get out in nature (studies show that any amount of exercise helps cognitive function, too),
- Try a restorative yoga pose (to reduce blood pressure and calm the mind)
- Eat a lunch meal away from your desk (so you can enjoy your food and get away from work)
- Go to bed at the same time each night and wake up at the same time each day (even on weekends/non work days)
- Write a friend/loved one a letter on stationery and mail it to them. What a nice surprise that will be! (writing with pen and paper forces us to slow down compared to typing at a keypad)
- Make a phone call instead of texting and sit down away from TV/computer/any other distraction when you do it (so you give the person your full attention)